UConn Extension’s Home and Garden Center has a lot of knowledge to grow on.
Ten Tips for the April Gardener:
1. Prune back bedraggled looking ground covers and fertilize lightly after April 15.
2. Check fruit trees for tent caterpillars, they emerge around the same time leaves sprout. Blast nests with a strong spray of water to destroy them.
3. Fertilize all fruits mid-month except for strawberries- these are fertilized later in the season.
4. Keep Easter lilies in a moist and brightly lit location. They can be planted in the garden after the danger of frost. Read about Easter lilies – http://uconnladybug.wordpress.com/
5. Set out rain barrels for extra water this summer.
6. If you have dead spots in the lawn, patch them before the summer heat.
7. Remove any remaining leaves from last summer on roses and spread a thin layer of new mulch underneath them. This will help prevent the spread of any diseases that may have over-wintered.
8. Divide overcrowded summer or fall blooming perennials.
9. To speed up the warming of soil, cover beds with black plastic for a few weeks.
10. Hardy water lilies may be planted in pools in spring but wait until the water reaches 70° for tropical water lilies.
For more gardening tips, visit us online.