Connecticut seeks better information and understanding of produce growers in the state
The University of Connecticut Extension is collaborating with the Connecticut Department of Agriculture (DoAg) to support Connecticut produce growers covered by the FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule. In order to do that, we need to have more and better information about farms that grow produce in Connecticut.
Better knowledge and understanding of who is growing produce in Connecticut, who is covered by the Rule, who may be eligible for an exemption, and who must comply fully with the Rule, can only help us improve implementation of FSMA rules and better meet food safety information and resource needs of Connecticut farms.
Every farmer that fills out the survey will be entered into a drawing to win one of two Connecticut Grown pop-up tents. In order to participate in the drawing, the survey must be completed/returned by October 1, 2018.
We know that many farms are not covered by or are exempted from parts of the Rule. Please complete the survey even if you think you may be exempt from parts of the Rule or not covered at all. The information we get from uncovered farms or farms with exemptions will help us to:
- eliminate any farms from our mailing list that do not grow fruits or vegetables and
- develop alternative food safety programs aimed at reducing food safety risks of uncovered or exempted farms and helping them meet food safety requirements of potential buyers of their product.
The questionnaire should take only 5-10 minutes to complete. There are three options for completing the questionnaire:
- If you would like to complete the online version directly here is the link: Farm Survey Questionnaire
- If you would like to complete this survey on your mobile device, scan the QR code here:
- If you would prefer a copy to be emailed or mailed to you, contact Diane Hirsch at: firstname.lastname@example.org