Title: Education and Outreach Consultant
Location: Tolland County Extension Center, 24 Hyde Avenue, Vernon
Commitment: 20 hours/week part time position; January 2019-May 2019. This position will be guaranteed through May 2019, with the possibility of continuing through the summer.
Organization Overview : The College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) at University of Connecticut is committed to its status as a land grant institution, serving Connecticut and the global economy through research, education, and public engagement. CAHNR’s vision is to provide for a global sustainable future through scientific discovery, innovation, and community engagement. UConn Extension fulfills the land grant University’s mission of outreach and public engagement. Over 100 UConn Extension specialists work in the 169 local communities across Connecticut as educators, problem solvers, catalysts, collaborators and stewards. Our eight regional Extension Centers, the Sea Grant program at Avery Point, the 4-H Education Center at Auerfarm, the Home and Garden Education Center and the UConn Extension office in Storrs are strategically located throughout the state to meet local needs. UConn Extension enhances small businesses, the economic and physical well-being of families, and offers opportunities to improve the decision- making capacity of community leaders.
Program Overview : Since 2012, the University of Connecticut (UConn) Extension has worked to strengthen farm to school in the state. Our Put Local on Your Tray Program, launched in 2015, helps schools source, serve, and celebrate local food. We offer communication materials that feature 16 seasonal products and several resources to help school food directors connect with local farmers. For the 2018-19 school year, 56 school districts have signed up to participate in Put Local on Your Tray; participating districts commit to serving locally grown products on “Local Tray Days.” In our work ahead, we plan to add a new set of educational resources that can be used by classroom teachers that reinforce learning about local food that is being served in the cafeteria. Our major program partners are CT Dept. of Education and FoodCorps CT.
Position Overview : UConn Extension is looking for an experienced and committed individual to join our Tray team to assist in outreach efforts in 2019. A successful candidate will have a proven track record of:
● Outstanding professional relationship and collaboration skills
● Excellent skills in communications and outreach
● Experience working in classroom settings and developing activities for students in K-8 settings
● Managing multiple deliverables with deadlines
● Familiarity with Farm to School programming in Connecticut
This Education and Outreach Consultant will report to the Associate Extension Educator in Sustainable Food Systems, Jiff Martin. The Project Coordinator, Molly Deegan, will help guide day-to-day activities. The position will be filled ASAP, with a preferred start date of January 1, 2019.
1. 35% time = Develop new educational materials – Develop new resources for classroom use (K-8) that reinforce Put Local On Your Tray program materials that are being used in cafeterias of participating districts. Work with a professional designer, if needed, to develop these new tools. This task includes dissemination of final products to participating districts.
2. 35% time = Program representation – Attend Connecticut and regional major conferences, professional meetings, and events to represent the program and deliver presentations about the Put Local On Your Tray Program. Wherever possible, dates are indicated below. Please do NOT apply unless you can fulfill the majority of the following:
○ 3-5 presentations for School Nutrition Association of Connecticut Regional Chapter Meetings to provide overview of program resources and tools
○ Attend and staff info table at CT Farm to School Conference (Jan 22, 2019)
○ Attend and staff info table at CT Northeast Organic Farming Assoc Winter Conference (Mar 2nd, 2019, location tba)
○ Attend and staff info table at Ag Day at the Capitol (March 20, 2019, Hartford)
○ Attend and staff info table at Farm-to-Institution New England Summit (April 2-4, Leominster, MA)
○ Attend and participate at CT Farm to School Collaborative Meetings – Meets monthly (every third Wednesday, 9:30 – 11:30, Hartford)
3. 30% time = Communications – Ensure consistent and reliable interaction with partners andstakeholders. This includes:
○ Respond to enquiries from stakeholders interested in the program.
○ Respond to enquiries and requests for resources from school districts already participating in program.
○ Social media – Develop and schedule regular posts to Facebook and Instagram accounts twice a week.
○ E-Newsletter – Publish monthly e-newsletter for program partners and stakeholders.
○ Maintain inventory of program materials (posters, stickers, bookmarks).
○ Assist with gathering data from participating school districts at the end of the school year.
Compensation : We anticipate filling this position for a start date of January 1, 2019 . The position will be guaranteed through May 2019, with the possibility of continuing through the summer. The compensation will be: $25/hour for up to 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of the position, the expectation of 20 hours per week is an annual average, but it likely to vary based on outreach events. Travel costs will be reimbursed at the applicable federal rate.
Required Qualifications :
● B.A. or B.S. in sustainable food systems, agriculture, natural resources, public health, education, or related field
● A minimum of 2-3 years experience in education, agriculture, or related work in a not-for-profit setting or extension program setting
● Outstanding communication skills, teaching skills, and the ability to work with teams
● A strong understanding of school environments
● Strong work ethic and reliability
● Oral speaking skills, including experience as a presenter
● Comfortable working with individuals and organizations committed to meaningful social change and food justice through sustainable food and agriculture systems
● Excellent competency with computer and communications technologies including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, and major social media platforms
● Must own a vehicle and be willing and able to travel across state for events or meetings
● Must be willing to commute to UConn Extension office in Vernon
● Must be available until May 2019
● Flexibility and optimism a must
● Experience working in school cafeterias or closely with school food services
● Good understanding of the federal meal guidelines of the National School Lunch Program and other child nutrition programs in school settings
● Familiarity with function and role of education service providers, including CT State Department of Education and USDA Food and Nutrition Services
What’s in it for you?
● Work in an environment with colleagues that see broad connections between sustainable agriculture, food systems, and food justice
● Develop professional relationships with a new cohort of leaders in farming and food systems in Connecticut and across the nation
● Work alongside a supervisor willing to support your own professional development and networking opportunities
● Develop new contacts and introductions across University of Connecticut, state agencies, and at USDA
To Apply: Our team is more innovative and responsive when our staff represents a diversity of perspectives and life experiences. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. UConn provides reasonable accommodations to employees as required by law. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the employment process.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, 3 references to Jiff Martin, Associate Extension Educator in Sustainable Food Systems. Send all documents together in ONE email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please use this description: “Last Name, First Name – Tray Education and Outreach Consultant position.” Only competitive candidates will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process. Position closes Monday, December 3, 2018 .
University of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Program